Monday, December 15, 2014

Email Update: 12/15/2014

Dear Everyone,

To answer Jeff's question, as far as i know, i'm still going to be a mortician. At least, that's what i keep telling everyone---and getting funny reactions every time that i do. It just may take me a bit longer to head up, because i'm going to need to make some money to pay for collage, a truck, and an RV trailer to live in. However, i don't think that i'm going to be compressing anyone into diamonds any time soon.

As for the fire, it was intentionally set. The firefighters had to go in multiple times, and they estimate that a few thousand gallons of water went into just trying to save the tree next to the house. They did everything, tearing off pieces of the roof, spraying from all sides, and they even had all three of the fire trucks in the Fruitland Fire Department there to help. In the end, the fire burned the house to the foundations, and was still smoldering three days later.

I guess it was a good thing that it was a training exercise, planned a few months in advance.

We had been told about the fire two weeks before, by one of the Elders' Quorum presidents that we work with, who is a volunteer firefighter. Apparently, a lady owned three houses side by side, and she donated that one to the department for training. They spent the whole first day setting the fires, and having the fighters go in and just practice zig-zagging across the flames as they ran up the walls and ceilings, then letting another group in to do the same things. They put that fire out at around 10:30 that morning, and then came back the next day and set the whole place ablaze. The coolest part for me, was that another one of the firefighters is an investigator of ours, that we had been trying to get a hold of for a long time, and since all of the fighters needed to be there for the training, it was a great time to catch him on the last day, when everyone was just watching it burn. we had a goo talk with him, and the family (the Copelands) ended up coming to both of the Ward Christmas parties that we covered. 

The cool thing for this week was Sunday morning. We have been working with Doug and Mickey's friend, Rose, for as long as i have been here, and she has been slowly warming up to the both of us. She is Methodist, and has had some struggles in the past that have given her pretty severe anxiety, so she does not like big crowds. Saturday, Elder Riley asked the Sweats if Rose was coming to church, and they said that they weren't sure---then yelled, "Hey Rose! You comin ta church!?"

She said that she had already been to a Mormon church, and Elder Riley asked if she would be willing to come to ours. She thought for a moment, and then nodded. That night, when we were saying our prayers, I asked that she would want to come the next morning. Sure enough, 5 minutes after Sacrament started, they all walk in, along with another non-member friend of theirs named Donny. It goes to show, that as long as you do your part, and ask in faith, you'll get an answer.

I'm not sure when i'll be calling home, we still need to set up a time with a family in order to find out. I'll let you know as soon as possible.

I think that is about it for this week. Thanks for always giving me something to read; it makes me feel good! ;)

Love and Insanity,
Elder Stuver

No comments:

Post a Comment